Saturday, 7 April 2012

I'm The Worst Time Player, It's Me

I left for a whole year, oops. That wasn't really intentional. Stuff just kept piling up and eventually I forgot about this blog. Pretty silly of me! Here's a basic rundown of what you've missed.



I took the bus. A lot. Since the last post, I've been on a bus at least four hundred times.



That's a fucking lot of buses.



Speaking of buses, I also registered two complaints with my local bus line for drivers being dicks. I normally wouldn't bother, but if they choose to deliberately leave me waiting at a bus stop with twenty minutes left to fill, a simple phonecall will fit that gap nicely.




The cause behind my taking all of these buses was this: I attended and very successfully completed my first year of university. On what I assume to be a perfectly unrelated note, I decided that I hate university. The whole idea of 'showing up' and 'paying attention' really blindsided me, man. Completely unreasonable, if you ask me (and I know you're asking me, so I just saved you precious time).

I passed all my classes really well - the lowest mark I got was a credit (at 64%) and that was only in one class. Turns out I'm good at school, even if I hate it.

There was a really long break though, which was nice. I did some things during the break, but there's one crucial thing you need to know first, so let's rewind back to June 12th, 2011.



About halfway through the year, I accidentally Homestuck. The whole thing. I've never fallen into any fandom so hard and fast and I'm pretty sure there's no getting out by this point. No regrets ever. Homestuck is the wittiest god damned thing I've ever had the pleasure of reading.

The reason I remember the exact date I finished the archive is because of this fellow:



I humbly postulate that Pantskat is the best introduction to the fandom and its unique brand of crazy that any person can possibly have.

So as I've said, of three things I was certain. One, Homestuck was a webcomic. Two, there was a part of it, and I didn't know how big that part was, that thirsted for my blood. Three, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with it. I loved the fandom, too. I missed being in a proper fandom! The last time I really participated in a fandom was with Neon Genesis Evangelion and they weren't really the crazy ridiculous type.

You can imagine my glee when I discovered there were other Homestucks in Melbourne, the city in which I live.



Turns out there's a lot of us.


Some I got along with amazingly...


...and some, I did not. Such is life, I'm told.

Anyway, over these holidays, I recorded a song for Homestuck. I had trouble recording the proper version of it for a while, so I uploaded a quasi-acoustic version to YouTube to hold its place. It was around mid December when I finally worked out my technical difficulties. Then, all of a sudden, like a heavenly chorus, a music contest was announced for Homestuck literally the day before I was going to upload this version to YouTube. Let me tell you, I'm super duper glad I held off on uploading it, because it made it in. The wonderful album is here and wow, it's incredible.

By the way, this video is the only official one of the right recording. Someone else has uploaded it and I'm trying to get them to upload it (because they legitimately have nothing to gain by having it up, and I have views to lose, lol).


I also finished an album! Check it out, if you'd like.

This wondrous life of doing nothing was doomed from the start, though. It could never last forever. Eventually, I fell upon dark, troubling times.


Unfortunately for poor little old me, completing the first year of a three year course does not qualify one to lounge around in their pyjamas for the rest of their life while the world stalwartly keeps on spinnin'. Adjusting to a university schedule again after my extended four month vacation was difficult. No one has ever shouldered a greater burden than I. Can't imagine it. Just can't.

I guess you're caught up to my life now. Huh. See you soon!

---

Click here to read the next Scribbly post!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You write things here. Love is good, flames are too.